RE: RARA-AVIS: In defense of JDM: Bludis

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 16 Sep 2002

JDM was a person of his time, as are we all, yes. Among those men who may've been dealing with homosexuals and/or prostitutes a bit less harshly in the '60s, to stick to HB and its periphery, Gore Vidal, Nelson Algren, Harlan Ellison (the least little bit, perhaps), William Burroughs come to mind. Of course, all were willing to at least consider the demimondial in matter-of-fact tones, and my lack of having read deeply into the '50s HB literature probably is showing. I'm wondering if Thomas Scortia or Frank Robinson published any CF, HB or not, during the '60s, as they certainly did disaster novels in the '70s.

But, goodness, when were Spillane's Hammer stories, at least, ever any kind of measure of humanism? TM

-----Original Message----- From: Bludis Jack [mailto: buildsnburns@yahoo.com] JDM may be hard on hookers and homosexuals early on, but not nearly as hard as Mickey Spillane. Can you name a male writer of that time who did treat them fairly?