RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Gruesome JDM passage

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 16 Sep 2002

Jim Blue said: I'd like to think that you're right, Kevin, but I have my doubts. Much as I love old McGee, I never knew him to waste any of his ruminating on whether he dipped his wick too frequently or indiscriminately. He always appeared to believe he was doing some sweet lass a favor when he took her to

bed, chased away her bad dreams, relieved all her tension, restored her good

humor, and showed her the proper rhythm for the horizontal bop.
    His partner numbers could have rivaled those of Wilt Chamberlain and I doubt it would have troubled him. Methinks he saw promiscuous women as the candidates for "death stink," and men as merely good-naturedly randy. In other words, I don't think he'd have ever made the gender substitutions that

you did in the text.

*************** Well, it looks like it's pretty much been decided that Travis McGee had a hypocritical double standard. But let's not judge JDM too harshly for this. Think of Lou Ford. That sick sonuvabitch murdered people, and we still like KILLER INSIDE ME and Jim Thompson, don't we?

My response is part in jest and part serious. An author can paint a pretty creepy protagonist and make a damn good book out of it. Personally, I'd gag if all the protagonists passed the politically correct test with flying colors. On the other hand, when the reader starts thinking that the bad in the protagonist is echoing those of the writer, it's time to toss the propaganda penalty flag.

miker