RARA-AVIS: RE: Why All The Chandler movies?

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 10 Sep 2002

The movies were part of a push for the publication of "The Collected Stories" of Raymond Chandler, a massive Everyman's Library hardcover that purports to be "the first complete collection of Chandler's short fiction available in one volume."

Actually, they missed one -- "A Couple of Writers." It's a rarity, mainsteam fiction, written for sale to slick magazines but too downbeat for them to buy it. To my knowledge it first appeared in "Raymond Chandler Speaking." I got the editor of "Written By," the magazine of the Writers Guild of America (West), to include it in last month's issue which was devoted to fiction by mystery writers who also pen screenplays. As far as I can tell, it's the story's first and only magazine appearance.

Dick Lochte