RARA-AVIS: Re: Leonard's Pagan Babies

From: Mark Troy ( metroy@tamu.edu)
Date: 06 Sep 2002

On 9/6/02 3:00 AM, Mario Taboada wrote:

> Yesterday, I don't know why, I felt the compulsion to read
> some Elmore Leonard, so I picked up his _Pagan Babies_ at
> the local library. It starts with one of the strongest
> first paragraphs I've read in a long time; I figured that,
> after that opening volley, he would have to deliver, and he
> does. I couldn't put the thing down.

It was a fast read with some funny, disturbing and memorable passages, but I don't rate it as highly as Mr. T does. At the end, I was left asking myself what was that about? I thought the two main characters, Debbie and Terry, did not rise to the level of Karen and Foley in Out Of Sight.

--
Mark Troy (http://www.marktroy.net)
PILIKIA IS MY BUSINESS, A private eye novel