Re: RARA-AVIS: NIGHT DOGS (was:Procedural month)

From: Etienne Borgers ( wbac1203@wanadoo.be)
Date: 05 Sep 2002

At 07:00 04-09-02 EDT, you wrote:
>One of the best procedurals I have read is Kent Andersons Night Dogs . A
>follow up to his Vietnam novel Sympathy for the Devil. Night Dogs has a very
>noirish feel and is riviting right to the very last page.
>paul

It's a really great novel, I agree. But in my opinion it's not a procedural, even if it depicts some of the work of street policemen in Detroit. This novel is much more than that, as it does not privilege any crime or mystery intrigue to be the center point of its story. It's more the struggle of a man against his vision of the world that he can only perceive through violence, horror and death. His cop duty puts him at the front line of the evil and death generated by society. And when he tries to apply some direct justice to this chaotic world in front of him, it is by using the same mechanism of destruction and violence... Dark, haunting, it goes to your soul.

IMHO Kent Anderson's NIGHT DOGS is one of the best noir novells of the nineties.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384