Re: RARA-AVIS: What about Dorothy Hughes ?

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2002

> One thing that amuses me is a recent phobia that I've
> somehow seemed to pick up. After going thru a lot of
> old hardboiled and noir that are thin volumes, I've
> developed a fear of anything over 400 pages long. I
> was in Borders bookstore here recently and I picked up
> John Connolly's new paperback, and when I seen it was
> 500 pages (600?), my hands started shaking and I developed
> shortness of breath. I put the book down and moved on.
> I have to laugh about that because a couple years ago I
> had no qualms about reading siege-style science fiction
> epics or James Ellroy novels.

miker -- That's interesting. 400 pages is also a cutoff length for me. I will read longer books from time to time, but it has to be something that really interests me. Otherwise I find myself thinking about how many different books I could have read in the same amount of time that one of the doorstops takes. But I sort of miss reading the long books, too, especially the vast fantasy or SF novels. So I contradict myself. What else is new?

James