RARA-AVIS: Author's from the 40's ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Sep 2002

I've found plenty of books to read for the 30's month, and now I am looking for some new authors to read from the 40's. Presently I've got High- smith's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and Latimer's SOLO- MON'S VINEYARD on my list, but I need some others. I've read James Cain, McCoy, Gresham, Fearing, Spillane, Hemingway, Chandler, Woolrich, Jim Thompson, Himes, Goodis, and Faulkner. I will also have read John O'Hara, Gardner, Burnett, and Whitfield by that time. Can you recommend some other authors?

I've been looking at the hardboiled checklist on the Rara-Avis site, and I've found some that sound interesting, but I want to know if they are good and if they are hardboiled/noir, seeing as how the list states that many of the selections are outside the genre. What about the following books:

DUCKS IN THUNDER, PITFALL, Dratler FRENCH KEY, LAUGHING FOX, Gruber VERDICT OF TWELVE, Postagte Anything by Dorothy B. Hughes WHISTLE STOP, Maritta Wolf TRIAL BY FURY, Craig Rice DEADLIER THAN THE MALE, Gunn LAURA, Vera Caspary TUCKER'S PEOPLE, Ira Wolfert WALL OF EYES, Margaret Millar MINISTRY OF FEAR, THIRD MAN, Greene THE DARK TUNNEL, BLUE CITY, THREE ROADS, MOVING
    TARGET, Ross Macdonald HALO IN BLOOD, HALO IN BRASS, John Evans DEADLY WEAPON, Wade Miller NEON WILDERNESS, Algren STRANGER IN TOWN, BIMINI RUN, Hunt LOVELY LADY, PITY ME, Roy Huggins MAN WITH A GOLDEN ARM, Algren

And not only these, but are there other authors that I've missed?

Thanks, miker