RARA-AVIS: HB writers/Kanter

From: Chris Aldrich ( caldrich@blackravenpress.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2002

Bill Crider asked : Anybody read this one?

: HARDBOILED MYSTERY WRITERS:
: Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Ross Macdonald
: Matthew J. Bruccoli & Richard Layman, editors
: Carroll & Graf Trade pb 8/02 I found it about a month ago and have been picking it up and reading bits ever since. It helped me realize that one of the reasons I hated history in school was that all we got was someone else's ideas about what happened. This book is full of material from primary sources and I've been enjoying it immensely. To Bill Denton, even some of us who no longer live there don't care for
'Frisco'. It's always The City to me. But to each his own.... And Craig Larson's review of Rob Kanter's The Back-Door Man reminded me how much I miss this series, which I discovered at least a dozen years ago. Can't quite put my finger on why, but now I'm going to have to reread some of these. Chris