RARA-AVIS: Future of the Genre

From: Brian Evankovich ( brianevankovich@hotmail.com)
Date: 31 Aug 2002

Do some simple research and you'll find plenty of independant operators, private eye or otherwise (like bounty hunters), working today, but granted most agencies have multiple operators and I'd guess that the agencies have always outnumbered the solo ops. But even if the current state of our society makes the lone wolf obsolete, since when has fiction been anything close to reality? The private eye genre will continue as it always has, although in the future we'll see more use of technology and other gizmos, basically because that's how we live and do business nowadays. But having a PI track somebody down by reviewing records on the Internet will never be as exciting as having him knocking on doors and getting into trouble along the way (he'll just keep track of things on his Palm Pilot, unless it gets smashed when deflecting a bullet or when the PI is pushed down a flight of stairs). --Brian