RE: RARA-AVIS: You gotta love it.

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Aug 2002

Miker, the Ph.D. is not *always* an obstacle for good thinking and good writing. For example, Ross Macdonald and Robert Parker got doctoral degrees; I don't think this has impaired their lucidity, the quality of their writing or their careers.

The point is that a degree cannot give you a keen eye and a sharp analytical mind. Those qualities are rare and have nothing to do with degrees.

Some great writers are fond of teaching (Kurt Vonnegut, James Crumley, Raymond Carver, William Kittredge, Reynolds Price) whereas many others are as far from academia as they can get.

I don't think doctoral programs and reading abstractitis treatises make pompous asses out of people. The seed has to be there already.

Regards,

MrT

=====
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." Mark Twain