RARA-AVIS: more questions for the Brits in our midst

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 24 Aug 2002

More questions prompted by Ian Rankin's Black and Blue:

I get that "biscuit-tin" means police interview room, but what's the etymology?

And what's with Jeff Beck's "Hi-Ho Silver Lining"? I like to think of myself as fairly knowledgeable about pop music, but I'd never heard of the song, much less heard it, before seeing it mentioned in several UK
(2 out of 3 Scottish) books I've read. It clearly has some fairly specific social implications. In two of the books (but not Rankin's), a pop fan is teased by friends, accused of liking the song which he vehemently denies. (After having finally heard it, I am surprised it remains so worthy of comment.)

And was it Joy asking about stories set in Aberdeen? 100 pages in, Black and Blue hasn't gotten there yet, but several plot strands are clearly leading Rebus in that direction. I'm sure he will be visiting soon.

Mark