Re: RARA-AVIS: British Noir--Brookmyre in Aberdeen

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 23 Aug 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joy Matkowski" < jmatkowski1@comcast.net>

> Apparently this is the latest Brookmyre. It's just now about to be
published
> in the U.S., and the discounted new tpb is cheaper than any used copies.
> I've advance-ordered.

You're about a year behind over there, Joy. THE SACRED ART OF STEALING is out here in October in tpb. I suppose A BIG BOY DID IT AND RAN AWAY's publication was delayed because of September 11 (terrorism is a main theme of the book and couldn't have been more ill-timed). Beyond the opening section, I don't recall if any of the book is set in Aberdeen (one airport is much the same as another), but I might be wrong. It isn't the sort of thing that sticks in my mind. There's also a Rebus novel that takes him to Aberdeen for part of the book, but I can't remember which one it is. Somebody on the list will know.

I checked British books in print to see if Aberdeen came up on any keyword searches for crime. Apart from an out of print novel about squatters by an author I'd never heared of, it didn't. I was kind of hoping that Edward Aarons had done an Assignment - Aberdeen. He missed out there. I think one of the Matt Helms is at least partly set in Scotland, but I haven't read it yet.

Al