RE: RARA-AVIS: Themes of the months

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Aug 2002

William Denton said: pre-1930 (make your case for proto-hardboiled writers)

*********** I'm reading THE SNARL OF THE BEAST right now. I'm thinking that as far as hardboiled novels, the reading list before 1930 is sorta thin, isn't it? Carrol John Daly and Hammett are the only ones I can think of. Hemingway was writing in this period, but, except for TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, I don't really consider his novels hardboiled, and I believe it came out after 1930.

Can anybody help me with a list of some pre-1930 hardboiled novelists? I stress novelists because I'm just not much of a short story reader.

thanks, miker