RE: RARA-AVIS: Friedrich Durrenmatt

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2002

This may have already been mentioned in previous messages on this thread, but one of Durrenmatt's novels, THE PLEDGE, recently filmed under that title with Jack Nicholson in the lead, was also filmed in Germany the late '50s, and released in the US as IT HAPPENED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. The cop was played by Heinz Ruhmann, who also played Inspector Maigret on a German TV series. I believe Durenmatt might have co-written the screenplay.

I've never seen it, but in THE DETECTIVE IN FILM, William K. Everson raved over it.

There was also a German made-for-TV movie in 1997.

JIM DOHERTY