RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Caldwell

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 16 Aug 2002

Duane, talking about TOBACCO ROAD: Didn't Charles Williams contribute a novel or two to this genre?

*********** I'm not aware of anything that Charles Williams did that was "country noir" or "Southern Gothic". I'm aware of most of his titles and I can't place any of them in this category although, to be honest, RIVER GIRL is the only book I've read of his, and although it was set in a small southern town in a rural area, it's subject matter is vastly different than TOBACCO ROAD or Crews's FEAST OF SNAKES.

I was shopping for something by Gil Brewer yesterday, and I came across BACKWOODS TEASER, which sounds like it might be similar to TOBACCO ROAD, but I doubt that it is.

miker