RARA-AVIS: British Noir-- Higson & Raymond

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Aug 2002

In describing _King of the Ants,_ I said: "The protagonist is a sort of English slacker; there's enough of a back history to show he comes from a pleasant middle-class family and went to college for a while, but not enough background to explain why he has no contact with his family or the middle class today."
    When I read _He Died with His Eyes Open,_ one paragraph explained why no further background is necessary in the U.K. Apparently, he's a type: "One corner was packed with young men from good homes, the kind that draw unemployment benefit and do moonlight building and plumbing work on the side; they wore paint-stained Falmer jeans, sneakers and T-shirts, and accounted for the row of bikes on the pavement outside." That's Sean, all right.

Joy, probably the neighborhood expert on British HB by now