Re: RARA-AVIS: Raymond, Leonard, and Crews

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Aug 2002

--- Robison Michael R CNIN < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil> wrote:
> I just finished Harry Crews's A FEAST OF SNAKES. This
> was an intelligent and powerful and moving book. I
> hated the ending. I expected something a little more
> interesting. I was very disappointed. Are there any
> Crews fans out there who can recommend any of his other
> books?

Miker,

IMO, A FEAST OF SNAKES was Harry Crews' best novel. I believe previous lists here mentioned Crews' later novels
(say, from 1990) seem almost parodies of earlier works. Crews writes in what critics call "Southern Gothic" which may share some parallels to the hard-boiled style. Of his 18 or so novels (all of which I've read), my favorites are BODY, NAKED IN GARDEN HILLS, and THE GOSPEL SINGER. All are violent, funny, outlandish, and dark.

Ed Lynskey

=====