RARA-AVIS: Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 14 Aug 2002

This book was discussed back in May, but I just now got a copy of it. I had forgotten or missed the discussion on the book here, and more or less found it just surfing around. The description of it didn't mention much about the contents, so I was pleased when I got it to see a lot of familiar subjects. Hemingway and Hammett are discussed. Joyce Carol Oates has an article on James Cain. Unless I'm remembering wrong, I picked up a copy of HEART OF DARKNESS recently and the introduction, for some reason or other, made a comment about Oates thinking that Cain was crude and sleazy. I'll find out soon. There is also an article that mentions NIGHTMARE ALLEY, which really impressed me, and an essay on John O'Hara's APPOINTMENT TO SAMARRA, which I recently asked about.

New books! WAHOOOO!!!

miker