RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #465

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 14 Aug 2002

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 08:00 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> But Rebus is a cop, and solving crimes is his
> job. It may also be his vocation or his compulsion
> but the bottom line is that it's his job.

Right. So? I can readily admit that I find vocations or compulsions much more interesting than "jobs". It's what somebody MAKES of the job, you see. Maybe it's significant that you never find me on DL saying, "I'm about to take a holiday in Keokuk, can anybody give me the titles of some crime books set there"? I also don't read quilting mysteries or canning mysteries, and I happen to know that Lindsey Davis and Anne Perry aren't primary sources.

Dear heavens, Jim Doherty, you think that MOBY DICK is a WHALING PROCEDURAL? I'll just copy in below the rough 119,000 word draft of my book, SIGN AND SIGNIFICANCE IN DA WOIKS OF HOIMAN MELVILLE .

No?

I retire - briefly, briefly - breathing heavily.

Marianne