RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #462

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 13 Aug 2002

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 08:00 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> Ian Rankin on police procedure: "I've never made it all up.

It would be silly to try to make it up. When you need to get the basic facts correct in something you're writing, so that the narrative isn't crippled by inaccuracies, or holes, you do some research, maybe talk to a policeman. Then you use what you need. But the procedural element is only what is necessary to plot (and character development perhaps); it is not the subject of the book.

Oh - and I've been meaning to say: I think that "us people" analyse so much because it's fun.

Marianne