RARA-AVIS: Edward Aarons: Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2002

You know, my antennae have always vibrated in the presence of Aaron's novels, well before I knew Fawcett as in any way a distinct line (they belonged to CBS by the time I started reading Crests or Gold Medals, beyond the PEANUTS volumes), and though I've still never read one, I have a few library-sale items kicking around. So, thanks in advance, Mario...

TM, a few chapters into APRIL EVIL by JDM...who really wrote the hell out of Florida.

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada [mailto: matrxtech@yahoo.com] I finally got into Aarons's Assignment: Burma. What a terse, clean style this writer had... Technically, he's up there with John D., Hamilton, Prather and Charles Williams. Straight sentences, strong action verbs, quick and precise characterization, nothing wasted. Not much sappiness, either.

From 2/3 of this book and two others I've read, I would urge raravians to go for Aarons. I have found a lot of his books in Salvation Army stores. They are dusty and often battered, but they are damn good reads. Which perhaps explains why they are battered.