RARA-AVIS: HARD CASE

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 12 Aug 2002

A year or so ago, someone gave a high recommendation to Dan Simmons' HARD CASE. Since the paperback just hit the stands, I picked it up. It has a great dedication, which was also mentioned ("This book is for Richard Stark, who sometimes writes under the wussy pseudonym of Donald Westlake"). The book starts out over the top and builds from there. I can't decide whether Simmons is serious or whether he's spoofing. Either way, this is as tough as they come. It's fast, it's short (probably about the length of a Gold Medal), and it's entertaining. It also has one very funny line.

Bill Crider