Re: RARA-AVIS: british terminology

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 08 Aug 2002

In a message dated Wed, 7 Aug 2002 4:47:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, Robison_M@crane.navy.mil writes:

> And so far the book has been excellent. I've rarely
> seen an author as good at depicting man's inhumanity to
> man as such a natural state. And accept for maybe Earl
> Thompson's GARDEN OF SAND, I don't think I've ever seen
> such shockingly horrid depravity. Naturally, I love it.
> ;-) I've got I WAS DORA SUAREZ coming, and I can't wait.
> I hear it's even worse.

I think you've started with the top of the pile there me old china, Suarez is indeed more shocking, but I don't think it works as well - I think old Derek/Robin got a bit lost in the shock, the villain is also almost too monstrous to believe in. The Devil is Home on Leave is excellent, and I am off to the library tomorrow to have another trawl through, He Died Standing Up. If anyone has a copy of How the Dead Live they want to send me I'd be most grateful - I borrowed a copy a few years ago but have never owned my own. I'm glad Raymond is finding favour - SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REPRINT HIM!