RARA-AVIS: RE: The Dead Woman Hangover

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 08 Aug 2002

Whoever decides to write that thesis should not overlook one of the best waking-up-in-bed-with-dead-woman novels I can recall: W. H. Manville's
"Goodbye." A Seventies novel set in Greenwich Village, filled with betrayal and deception, it's theme seems to be that the peace and love Sixties are definitely over.

Dick Lochte

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:48:21 +0100 From: "Al Guthrie" < allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Another GM book

- ----- Original Message ----- From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com>
> : It begins with a classic Gold Medal situation: a guy wakes up in a
> : motel, and there's a dead blonde in the next room.
>
> There's a fine Ph.D. thesis waiting to be written on books where men
wake
> up beside unknown dead women. If it has been written, let me know, I
want
> to read it.

I believe Lawrence Block's who's-been-murdered-in-my-bed entry was
"After the First Death", which iBooks have just reprinted for those of us yet to read it. Gil Brewer provides a variation on the unknown dead woman theme when the protagonist of "Play It Hard" wakes up in bed with an unknown live woman, who claims to be his wife.

Al