RARA-AVIS: Another GM

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 07 Aug 2002

"Knee-Deep in Death" by Bruno Fischer

I wonder if the title is Fischer's, or if Fawcett chose it for him, as they did with most of Peter Rabe's. Knee-deep is hyperbolic by most people's standards. I counted only two deaths, so unless you have really short legs...

Anyway, it's reasonably entertaining fare, although not a patch on Fischer's excellent "Fools Walk In". "Knee-Deep" is longer than your average Gold Medal (170 pages), mostly because of the backstory involving the protagonist's stormy marriage. It's handled fairly well, although the scene where the young lovers declare their love for one another is trite beyond belief (and I got a bit confused with the complex chronology). The pace is sedate for a Gold Medal, but there is still plenty tension in the fact that you know something's amiss in this small town, you just don't know what. The solution becomes evident long before the author discloses it, but I found the whole experience satisfyingly predictable.

Good dialogue, too. It's worth reading just for the following four-line exchange (unfortunately, this is also a SPOILER):

S P O I L E R

A L E R T

She blinked at me. "He was kidnapped?"
"Yes. Tuesday night."