Re: RARA-AVIS: Kentucky Straight (was Brett Halliday recommendations)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 07 Aug 2002

> This brings to mind the earlier discussion of authors outside the
crime
> fiction genre who write stories with HB and noir qualities. My
favorites are
> Offutt, Larry Brown and Richard Price. I've read some Cormac McCarthy
and
> I'm aware of Robert Stone. Anyone have any other suggestions along
these
> lines? Thanks.
>
> Chris

The one that comes to my mind straight away is BUFFALO SOLDIERS by Robert O'Connor (I think that's the author's name, haven't got my copy to hand, as usual). It's a black comedy about a small time heroin dealer who is a US soldier based in Germany. It is very black & very funny, IMO. I did hear something about a "major" film (aren't they all major films, at least until they come out?) being made of it but I haven't heard anything recently.

Rene