RE: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday recommendations

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 06 Aug 2002

Jim Doherty said: My favorite Shayne novel, A TASTE FOR VIOLENCE, fits right into that formua. It's a town-taming novel, set in a Kentucky mining community, very much in the vein of RED HARVEST.

************ Thanks, Jim. Seeing as how Kentucky is just a short distance from me, I find that title particularly appealing. Many of those coal towns are solidly rooted in Appalachia, a typically poverty-stricken rural area. James Dickey's DELIVERANCE portrayed some characters that would have been at home there. Back when I climbed, we would drive east of Lexington and then head down south to the Daniel Boone National Forest. It was pure Appalachia. When we cut off the main drag there was a little shotgun town called Nada that we drove through on the way into the Red River Gorge. Barefoot kids dressed in rags living in tarpaper shacks and leaning, rusted trailers, with an outhouse out back. I've driven thru devastated neighborhoods in Harlem and even worse in the Bronx, but there's something more... visible about rural poverty, and that makes it more shocking.

miker