Re: RARA-AVIS: An opinion of John D. MacDonald

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Aug 2002

Jack wrote:

"It is my opinion that John D. MacDonald is the most overlooked and underappreciated of the great PI writers--although technically he is not a PI."

Overlooked and underappreciated? By whom? He had massive sales, so he wasn't overlooked by the public and Travis McGee is what most of the general public knows him by, as evidenced by "Author of the Travis McGee series" on the front of every one of his books, plus I know plenty of non-mystery readers who have read every Travis book. As for fans of PIs/hardboiled, judging by past comments here, the Travis books are well loved and he is considered an unlicensed PI, in the same sense as Block's Matt Scudder until he recently got his license. So I think Travis is well appreciated, and deservedly so.

Mark