RARA-AVIS: Dig My Grave Deep/Peter Rabe

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 01 Aug 2002

I decided that for the most part I would use Gold Medal Month as an excuse to read some authors whose work I either hadn't read at all or only sparingly. First up is Peter Rabe. DIG MY GRAVE DEEP is the first novel of his that I've read. It's also the first novel in his series about Daniel Port, a gangster who wants to leave the mob.

I found this book to be a bit of a disappointment. Rabe's prose is nice and lean, and the few action scenes are handled well. But really, not much happens in the book, most of which concerns political maneuvering between the mob Port works for and the equally crooked Reform Party. In addition, though the book is supposed to take place in Los Angeles, there's no real sense of place to it. The setting could be any anonymous city anywhere. Overall, I like Rabe's style well enough to read more of his novels, but this one didn't really work for me.

Best, James