Re: RARA-AVIS: John Williams's comments

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 31 Jul 2002

Ray said:
> I just finished Pearson's _Parallel Lies_ , it's my first by him. I
wasn't
> impressed--it seemed formulaic, as if he had a movie treatment in
> mind. Pearson is a friend of mine's favorite author. Is this book
typical
> of him, or did I just pick a bad one to start on?

********************* I read everything by him up to a point. The last one I read involved illegal immigration (Chinese, not Mexican) and sweat shop labor to pay it off. I really like big Lou Boldt, but the plot was dreary and uninspiring. I didn't much care for _Hard Fall_ either. I haven't read _Parallel Lies_, and I'm not sure I will. Its not because I think he's no good anymore... Its just that there are so many other books to read. I think another book by him was _The Pied Piper_. I didn't care for that one either. The others don't come to mind right now. That was many, many pages ago.

I liked _Undercurrents_. It moved me. But Pearson's later books start to involve Lou more in domestic affairs which I just can't get excited about. To be honest, he started out writing serial killer books, and I think he knew the limitations in writing them, and is trying to break loose from the mold. But the crimes he's chosen to replace them are not as exciting. I should add here that not all his books are in the Lou Boldt series. miker