Re: RARA-AVIS: tears in my beer: MikeR

From: Alan Ziebarth ( ziebarth@chipublib.org)
Date: 31 Jul 2002

Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> Todd said:
> The dealers are out there, and need your support, and they
> often advertise in the cf magazines and the about-cf
> magazines, which also needyour support. And then there're
> the auction sites...
>
> ************************
>
> Although I try and avoid ebay (I don't like the idea of
> competitive bidding.) and buy from powell or abe, I have
> successfully bought some nice books thru ebay.
>
> I wish I lived closer to Indianapolis. Its a decent-sized
> city, and I know there must be a lot of good used book
> stores there. But from where I live, it's a two hour drive
> to most places in Indianapolis. I'm hoping that this winter
> when the boating comes to an end, I'll be able to take a day
> off and go up and explore.
>
> I have fond memories of many, many years ago when my parents
> would dump my young ass with my aunt in Indianapolis for a
> night or two. She took me to some of those old bookstores
> and was patient while I looked around.
>
> thanks, miker
> --

If you don't want to own a certain book, but just want to read it, don't forget your local library. Even if they don't own the book you'd be surprised what you can get from Interlibrary Loan. I am a librarian for the Chicago Public Library and I use these resources often. (If you live in Chicago you should go to the fiction collection of the main library, aka the Harold Washington Library Center. It is remarkable. I just checked out a first edition of Norbert Davis's Sally's in the Alley. I am also going through their Fredric Brown and David Goodis novels.)

Due to the huge databases that index most of the public and academic libraries in the USA, the chance of getting something obscure and long out of print can be quite high. I've gotten books from California, Texas among other states.