RE: RARA-AVIS: Wrapping up UK month

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 30 Jul 2002

The last of the independent mystery book stores closed this past spring here in DC. It's death attributed to 9/11 and an unexpected dependence on tourist sales ... odd in a city that's known for its mystery readers. Anyway, about the only difference between them and the Borders I frequent was that they occasionally had a foreign title before the Borders did. Otherwise, you were just paying more for the same titles. They rarely even had rare titles on hand that I couldn't find in the chains either. Anything I purchased there I could have gotten cheaper at least with Amazon.co.uk. In the end it was nice to have because of what it was ... mysteries only ... but if I hadn't read about its demise in the paper, I might not have even noticed.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Send your femme fatale stories to Judas by 27 September 2002.
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: Joy Matkowski Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 2:09 PM
1. I don't know why everyone is complaining about book access these days. I've never had more. "Independent" bookstores I've been in carry little of interest; the only mystery bookstore I've ever encountered featured a roving, uncouth bulldog, and I never went back. Yet I can sit here at the keyboard and summon up fascinating piles of book, even ones from far-off UK.