Re: RARA-AVIS: Wrapping up UK month

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jul 2002

<<More like an Ancient Greek out of a tent.>>

"They all come out, eventually." (Attributed to Aeschyllus, the muckracker of his age.)

A final thought on this topic: just like I don't come out shouting "I'm heterosexual" because I like girls, I see no reason for gays to shout "I'm homosexual" or for writers to underline the gayness of a character unless there are leterary reasons to do so. The categories are contrived. It's better if we confine the whole thing to acts. Some time ago gay activists got mad at Gore Vidal for saying something like this. The context was the search for a "gay gene". I think they misunderstood him. There was also some debate when the gays-in-the-military thing was hot. I never did find out what happened. As soon as things turn political, they turn into comedy (comedy and something else, but there will be comedy). Maybe an insider would see it differently.

Best,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.