Re: RARA-AVIS: First Joe Gores novel

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jul 2002

Mark,

Re your answer to Ed's quesstion below:

> I just finished Cons, Scams & Grifts. Loved it.
> I'm sure it could
> stand on its own, but I'd recommend that you try to
> read 32 Cadillacs
> first. That was the DKA Agency's first run-in with
> the gypsies and Cons
> refers back to a number of events in that book.

I like CONS, SCAMS, & GRIFTS, also, and also recommend reading 32 CADILLACS first. However, DKA's first run-in with the Gypsy clan was in a short story. The title escapes me at the moment, but it's included in the DKA short story collection STAKEOUT ON PAGE STREET, and the cover illustration on that excellent Crippen & Landru publication is from the Gypsy story. Events from that short story are also referred to in CS&G.

JIM DOHERTY