Re: RARA-AVIS: Wrapping up UK month

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 30 Jul 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terrill Lankford" < lankford2000@earthlink.net>
> Good catch, Al. But could it be because he [Lee Child] is aggressively
packaged and
> promoted more like a U.S. author than a British one? His character is
American,
> his series takes place here and I think he himself lives in New York. Lee
may
> be an import, but I don't think his books are.

Sort of carrying on the James Hadley Chase tradition but taking it a bit more seriously (Chase set most of his books in the US despite having visited it only twice, briefly). In a cunning marketing ploy in the '50s, American Hank Janson, (who I still haven't read), starred in his own books as Crime Reporter on the Chicago Chronicle. He was in fact Englishman Stephen Frances.

Al