RE: RARA-AVIS: Foreign HB novels

From: Anderson, Erick (ETW) ( Erick.Anderson@Nike.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2002

Greetings all --

Among the one or two non-US publishers of HB/noir-ish lit I see around these parts is No Exit Press, and at that nothing premiering (I usually find them as used copies at the local resellers, such as Powell's, et.al.) A quick check of Amazon shows the following from No Exit, all out of print and/or limited availability (some authors I recognize, but some I don't even know if they fall into the HB/Noir category):

Nothing Personal by Jason Starr Computer one by Warwick Collins Cancelled Czech by Lawrence Block Moth by James Sallis London Blues by Anthony Frewin Signs of Life by Nancy Botkin Don't Have Time to Think About It by Gregory Fiorini Muscle for the Wing by Daniel Woodrell

Much is the pity, too, for I find myself looking for these and other familiar publishers, thinking that if they published one author I liked, maybe their tastes are similar to mine, and I can look to them for others I'll like as well. It's the way I stumbled, happily, upon John Milne, Anthony Frewin and Hugh Laurie.

Similarly, I thank IPL for my exposure to Jonathan Latimer and Paul Cain.

Best Regards, Erick