Re: RARA-AVIS: Foreign HB novels (was:First Joe Gore novel)

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 29 Jul 2002

Mario Taboada wrote:

> To judge by the remainder bins, even top writers who have
> won Novel prizes don't sell in the US.

Mario, we have to be careful whenever judging ANYTHING by the remainder bins. Everybody gets remaindered. If you don't find an author in the remainder bins it's usually a good sign that the publisher didn't print enough books in the first place. They never sell all of them, unless the demand has outweighed their interest in going to another printing, which, amazingly, happens from time to time. (And even then there are the eventual returns.)

Of course, finding huge piles of an author's book in every remainder bin in the city is not a good sign either.

> Even Gþ´¥² Grass
> doesn't sell (and he was translated by the great Ralph
> Manheim, a guarantee of quality and creativity in
> translation). I was thinking of this as I browsed Grass's
> _The Flounder_, whose Manheim translation is a work of art
> in itself.

I think Grass has done fairly well here. Especially considering he's a "ferrigner."

But then again, I could be wrong. In these matters, I usually am.

TL