Re: RARA-AVIS: Joel Cairo & Wilmer - Just Good Friends?

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 28 Jul 2002

I get the impression that Hammett (as with the best writers, Chandler and Ross MacDonald among them) left a wealth of potentially ambiguous relationships half-buried in most of his work. Then he resisted the temptation to tell us what was at work there, rather than allowing us to observe and draw our own conclusions. I think he trusted his readers to be imaginative. It's part of why I love his work so much.

I think it's both important and extremely difficult to do that.

Brian