Re: RARA-AVIS: First Joe Gore novel

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 28 Jul 2002

M Blumenthal wrote:

> Ed,
> I'll be anal before Mark Sullivan can.

You guys don't have a tent, do you? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I've been lurking through UK month, but found it very interesting. One of the things I've found most illuminating is the sense that we don't import nearly enough writing from outside this country, even when it is in our own language. I wanted to suggest that Etienne host a month on French writers, then I realized we don't get a whole lot of translations of French HB works here. It seems we have a one way street going with this issue most of the time. Just about anyone who writes a halfway decent book can sell the rights to France for translation (or Japan, Germany, UK, Italy, etc.), but our U.S. publishers don't seem very high on bringing in the imports.

Does anyone know of any publishers (perhaps small ones) specializing in translations of foreign works for the U.S. market?

TL