Re: RARA-AVIS: Joel Cairo & Wilmer - Just Good Friends?

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2002

I don't think there's even a question about Gutman, Cairo and Wilmer. Hammett is not obscure about this, and neither is the movie -- the three actors are well aware of what they are supposed to be like. In fact, Peter Lorre hams it up a bit too much.

And I don't think there ever has been a question about Achilles and Patroclus. Every commentator or reteller of the story I've read, including Greek and Roman ones, has taken this for granted. In Homer's Greece it was unnecessary to underline that these two heroes were given to homosexual acts.

Regards,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.