RARA-AVIS: Wrapping up UK month

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2002

Thanks to Mr. Ricketts for guest-hosting a month of UK hardboiled and noir writing. There was some good discussion and it looks like a number of people read a good selection of UK writers, many of whom are little known in North America. I'm glad lots of names were mentioned, and now we all have more writers to look for when we're browsing shelves.

Derek Raymond isn't well known over here, but he's well-liked on the list.
(We did I WAS DORA SUAREZ in November 1998 and I couldn't finish it.) I enjoyed the Ian Rankin book I read. Mark Timlin was mentioned, along with Peter Cheyney, James Hadley Chase, Graham Greene, Ian Fleming, Charles Higson, Jake Arnott, and others.

Mr. Ricketts opened the month with, "Is there a Brit style? There is much talk of a new generation, Peace, Timlin, Arnott, Blincoe, etc etc, as Al will testify Scottish HB is thriving and distinctive." What's the answer? And what are the Top 10 UK Hardboiled and Noir books? I bet Greene's BRIGHTON ROCK is there, and Chase's NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH for its place in history.

Bill