Re: RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal Month

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 24 Jul 2002

> > How about those who don't have easy access to books from
> > various publishers?
>
> Rats. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
>
> Bill Crider
> --

Well, I still like the idea. A couple of things worth remembering - the books in question may have more than one printing, so the fact that you don't have the edition in question doesn't necessarily mean that the book in question is not available. E.g. the Holmes/Mainwaring classic BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH came out in an (I think, abridged) Ace Double edition. Also, even if I haven't read or don't have access to the books in question, I'd love to just read any discussion of these books by people such as Bill C who know these books well. I'm always looking for
"new" authors to read, especially from the pbo era of the 50's & I know I'm not alone in that. Perhaps, if an individual month for each publisher is stretching it, how would folks feel about a month devoted to the non-Gold Medal 50's noir pb publishers. That covers a lot of ground & a lot of stuff that's been published in other editions around the world, even in other languages.

Rene