Re: RARA-AVIS: Mr T's UK vs. US toughness.

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2002

Following up further on Rene's thoughts on the hero:

Only recently has killing an enemy become a blemish on a warrior's character. Even in the very enlightened society that produced Taoism, not to kill an enemy would generally be considered foolish. Likewise in the Tibetan tradition of warriorship, in Japanese Zen Buddhism and in Hinduism. The samurai learned meditation from the Zen monks. How does this tie in with the Buddha's teaching against harming living things? The point, as I interpret it, is that kindness is not the same as foolishness, and that if you do nothing against someone (animal or human) who means you harm, you are foolish.

I am not even going to get started on the Norse, whose heroes were incredibly violent thugs and hooligans.

Back to the topic, which was?

Regards,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.