RE: RARA-AVIS: Mr T's UK vs. US toughness.

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2002

Perhaps this has something to do with Britons being Encouraged to always know their Place, and Yanks always being exhorted to Aspire, and to talk accordingly. Contrast with Canadian, Australian, Jamaican, South African and New Zealander hb cf could be interesting this way... TM

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada [mailto: matrxtech@yahoo.com]

<<----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario Taboada" < matrxtech@yahoo.com>
> One point is that British toughness is not expressed at
all
> in the same way as American toughness.

This is an interesting observation. Would you care to back

it up?>>

I wasn't teasing. The observation comes from my whole experience reading British and American fiction. I find British fiction, particularly English fiction, to be drier, more subdued, more self-deprecating than its American counterpart. Human nature being universal, the toughness is probably the same, but the expression in language is different.

Best,

MrT

=====
"The skill of man is unequal to the formation of a new man from old materials, but the battered tenement may, with care, be long sustained by props" -- From Becklard's Physiology.