Re: RARA-AVIS: Walter Mosley

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 23 Jul 2002

> As for questions, I've always wondered whether Mosley and James Ellroy
see
> any parallels between the 1950's Los Angeles that each of them has
created.
> In combination, they lay out a broader and deeper picture than either
can
> depict on its own.
>
> Jim Blue
> --

I don't recall the source but I understand that Ellroy has accused Mosley of ripping off his ideas to write A RED DEATH. If it's true that Ellroy has said this, it reflects far more poorly on Ellroy than Mosley. The notion that no-one other than Ellroy could hit on the idea of writing about the "red scare" of the 50's is just ludicrous. I would have thought that it was one of the most obvious story ideas that some one writing crime fiction set in LA in the 1950's could come up with & I don't possess Ellroy's genius. (I'm not even going to go into why an author of Mosley's talent would need to steal from Ellroy)

Rene