Re: RARA-AVIS: uk hb

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2002

Greene may not be hardboiled, but he wrote some great noir works, such as The Third Man, the story The Basement Room, and his masterpiece (in my opinion), Our Man in Havana. The Conrad tradition is just as respectable as the Twain-Hemingway-Hammett tradition.

Perhaps he isn't considered part of the hardboiled crowd because he wrote psychological novels and because so many of his characters are such ordinary people, but I propose that he be grandfathered into raravian matter, as we grandgaiaed Patricia Highsmith and grandhipstered Hubert Selby Jr... There's nothing to gain by being restrictive with definitions.

One point is that British toughness is not expressed at all in the same way as American toughness. The same goes for humo(u)r. I am reminded of this every time I read the remarkable Bill James.

Best regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh