Re: RARA-AVIS: Lethem on Chandler

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2002

On 19 July 2002, Carrie Pruett quoted Jonathan Lethem:

: "And he's just also such a beautiful writer. The secret of Chandler is
: that he's really very romantic. Behind all that ennui there's this
: enormous yearning that causes him to reach, in this very precarious
: way, for all sorts of beautiful phrases and unlikely poetic
: comparisons. And then he's always making fun of himself for doing it
: at the same time."

By contrast, the other day I saw a copy of the 1980s BLACK MASK magazine,
#3 I think, which had an interview with Donald Westlake in it. I flipped it open and saw him talking about Chandler: "Every sentence he wrote had three extra syllables." I'm with Lethem, though.

Bill