RE: RARA-AVIS: dissing the pimp

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 18 Jul 2002

dave said: Now that you've digested PIMP, it's time to cruise down to your local newstand, and pick up some Donald Goines, if you're at all interested. His "prose" is more controlled, his stories better constructed. My favs --

"Dopefiend," "Whoreson," and "White Man's Justice, Black Man's Grief."

oh yeah! i bought goines's _whoreson_ at the same time i got _pimp_. i'm going to give the pimping theme a short rest while i knock off some other new
(to me) authors. can you believe i've never read ross macdonald? i've also got a david goodis novel to read, and i need to finish the last novel in the 30's and 40's noir collection i have, woolrich's _i married a dead man_. also rabe's _box_, raymond's
_he died with his eyes open_, and hime's _cotton comes to harlem_. i've read some faulkner, but i've got his _sanctuary_, and i'm hot to read that, too.

this pledge i made to myself to read a bunch of new
(to me) authors is tough, though. i've got pelcanos's
_right as rain_, connelly's _darkess more than night_, and several cormac mccarthy novels sitting on the shelf tempting me. of course, i watched the movie
"all the pretty horses" a couple weeks ago, so now i don't have to read that one. ;-)

thanks, miker