RARA-AVIS: Ordering from Oz

From: Andres Kabel ( kabel@bigpond.net.au)
Date: 18 Jul 2002

Miker asked: are there special limitations ordering from amazon from oz, like prohibitively high shipping charges?

This feels off topic, but is easily answered. Yes, the shipping charges can feel high. But our book prices 'down under' are quite a bit higher than in America. It all depends on the Aussie dollar - when it was worth US 65 cents, I used to buy most of my books via Amazon. When it fell to under 50 cents, I'd shop locally. Right now it's a bit of both. The other issue is that, as with literary fiction, American crime fiction is the best in the world, and though we get your bestsellers here, less well known authors are notoriously hard to obtain. Andres