RARA-AVIS: Boucher Reviews

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 17 Jul 2002

Rene: Boucher routinely reviewed plenty of hardboiled stuff during the 1940s, so you'd like those reviews, too. When I was in grad school and had access to "the stacks," I used to spend hours with the bound issues of the NYTBR from the 1950s instead of doing "legitimate" research. I had a little notepad, and I wrote down the names of all the authors and titles of paperback originals that Boucher reviewed. There were many of them. Then I'd go out to the used-book stores and find copies. Ah, those were the days. But, as usual, I digress. I think Nevins plans to get to those 1950s reviews eventually, and I certainly hope he does. I'd love to have them all in one place. About 25 years ago, Jon Breen did a photocopied list of all the paperback originals Boucher reviewed in his column. I still have my copy. Somewhere.

Bill Crider